Gaeltacht - Coláiste Chonnacht 2017
Three 5th year students will attend the Gaeltacht in Coláiste Chonnacht from the 23rd July to 6th August. We hope Elanor, Lauren and Precious have a great time in Spiddal!
DCU Centre for Talented Youth Ireland (CTYI) Activities
Centre for Academic Talent Programme - one first year student (Conor Phelan), one 2nd year student (Alana Clarke), one TY student (Jamie Gallagher) and one 5th year student (Chloe Caulfield) qualified to participate in CAT Summer camps with CTYI during Summer 2017. In addition two first year students (Frank Ajoc and Leah Clarke) will attend DCU Summer Scholars in July.
In more CTYI news Karl Dunne, Michelle McMillan and Amy Kelly successfully completed their Psychology Modules in Semester 2. Five TY students have secured places in Aviation Studies (Adam Leeper), Psychology (Destiny Okonkwo and Yasmin Irwin) and Politics & Society (Jamie Brannock and Jamie Gallagher) in Semester 1 in the 2017/18 academic year.
NCI Discover University Programme June 2017
Karl Ormsby and Josh Murnane (2nd year students) are participating in NCI Discover University Programme from 14th to 21st June. This involves a mix of academic taster programmes in NCI’s core subject areas of Business, Marketing, HR and Computer modules, along with a range of fun and challenging extra-curricular activities.
It also includes visits to companies in the Docklands area to show how higher education translates into the working world. Karl and Josh also have the opportunity to complete an enterprise project. Thanks to Early Learning Initiative staff for giving us places again this year on this great programme.
DCU Access Summer School 2017
Six of our 5th year scholarship students are attending the U First Summer School programme in June 2017 (Chloe Caulfield, Stephanie Basnett, Rebecca Geraghty, Lauren Ormsby, Danka Gaidso and Ciara Fowler).
NCI Discover University Summer Programme 2016
Five Second Year students (Adam Bonnell, Stephen Ormsby, Jake Mulvihill, Jake Waldron and Dillon Riggs) participated in NCI Summer Programme in June 2016. This involves a mix of academic taster programmes in their core subject areas of Business, Marketing, Computing and Digital Media, along with a range of fun extra-curricular activities such as drama and sports. It also includes visits to innovative companies in the Docklands. A key element of the programme is a Problem Based Learning (PBL) Project, where participants work in small teams on a enterprise or digital design task. The programme finishes with a Project Showcase, Graduation Ceremony and BBQ for the students, their parents and invited guests to celebrate their achievements.
DCU Centre for Talented Youth Ireland (CTYI) Activities
* One Transition Year student (Chloe Caulfield) completed an online correspondence course in Psychology with CTYI during this academic year.
* Centre for Academic Talent Programme - two first year students (Alana Clarke and Brandon Kenna), one 2nd year student (Jamie Gallagher) and one TY student (Chloe Caulfield) are participating in CAT Summer camps with CTYI in June 2016.
* Three Junior Cert students (Michelle McMillan, Craig McDonald and Karl Dunne) have succeeded in getting a place on the new Early University Entrance programme with CTYI which will commence in Semester one of the 2016-17 academic year. Karl and Craig will study Aviation Studies and Michelle a course in Psychology.
DIT Access & Civic Engagement Activities
* Two 5th year students (Leah Carey and Dean Murray) attended the College of Business and College of Sciences and Health Experience Day in DIT Kevin Street in April 2016. .
* Two 5th year students (Katie Darcy and Chloe Staunton)attended the College of Arts & Tourism and College of Engineering and Built Environment Experience day in DIT Bolton Street in May 16.
* Two 5th year students (Pavel Gaidos and Dean Murray) attended DIT Access Summer School in DIT Grangegorman Campus in June 2016.
Language Scholarships - GAELTACHT
* One higher level 5th year student (Dean Murray) has been provided with a scholarship to attend a three week residential Gaeltacht in Coláiste Chiarain in An Cheathrú Rua, Gaillimh in July.
* Two higher level 5th year students (Chloe Staunton and Carla Geary) were provided with language scholarships to attend a two week Gaeltacht course with Coláiste Naomh Eoin in St. Patrick’s College Drumcondra in June 2016. All of these language scholarships were funded by the Maureen Smithwick Scholarship fund.
TAKE 5 Summer School – Closing Ceremony 10th June 2015
Daria Lipcznska, Margarita Gligor and Gheorghe Burac participated in the Take 5 Summer Programme (a joint initiative between the Access programmes in DCU, DIT, NUIM, TCD and UCD) which ran for 5 days in June 2015. Daria & Margarita took part in the Music project group and Gheorghe in the Marketing. They participated in the Graduation Ceremony Events in DCU on 10th June representing the school well and enjoying the experience.
Language Scholarships Summer 2014
Lauren Wilson & Carla Troy participated in a 2 week gaeltacht course in Coláiste Naomh Eoin which operates out of St.Patrick's College in Dublin. Dean Fagan completed a French course over 2 weeks with Language School of Ireland in June 2014.
NCI Discover University – 18th to 25th June 2014
Precious Okonkwo, Eleanor Gallagher, Victor Stoian, Gheorghe Burac and Brandon Doyle participated in the NCI Discover University Summer Programme in June. Discover University gives young people the opportunity to experience a taste of college life in NCI. Students got a taste of NCI’s core subject areas of Business, Marketing, Computing and Digital Media. They also got to visit companies in the docklands area including AirBnB. Students also worked on app design projects. Congratulations to Eleanor and Gheorghe who worked on the winning project. Well done to all who participated. They had a great week, made lots of new friends and all want to do the programme again next year! .
TAKE 5 Summer Programme – 4th to 11th June 2014
Kelsey Dunne and Robert McCarthy participated in the Take 5 Summer Programme in June 2014. This is a joint initiative between the Access programmes in DCU, DIT, NUIM, TCD and UCD. Student spend a day in each of the colleges getting a great opportunity to sample student life - doing taster activities, attending lectures and workshops, taking part in sports and other activities. They were both part of the Music project group and demonstrated their talents in the Take 5 Graduation Ceremony which was held in DCU on 11th June. Well done to Kelsey and Robert for taking part, they represented our school really well and had a great week.
DCU Summer Scholars and Centre for Academic Talent (CAT) Summer Academic Programme
Michelle McMillan, Karl Dunne, Craig McDonald, Chloe Caulfield participated in the DCU Summer Scholars Programme in June. Craig & Karl participated in both the DCU Summer Scholars programme and the CAT Summer Academic Programme. Michelle participated in the DCU Summer Scholars programme and Chloe in the CAT Summer Academic Programme. These first and second year students had a brilliant opportunity to advance their studies, sample different academic courses, explore DCU campus and participate in extra-curricular activities.